Slovenia notifies new gambling laws to European Commission

The Slovenian government has set out amendments to the country's gambling laws that would expand the land-based market and authorise operators to offer gambling products over the internet.

The European Commission has been notified of the proposed changes to the law, which would allow the government to licence 15 casinos and 45 gaming halls as well as iGaming operators, with licences valid for ten years with optional five-year extensions.

They also enable players to exclude themselves from gambling for a minimum of six months and a maximum of three years, with operator's responsible for ensuring these players cannot gamble in any form for the duration of their self-exclusion.

Companies headquartered in Slovenia or another member state of the European Union or Economic Area will be allowed to apply for licences, with authorisation required for each type of product for both online and offline. 

Sports betting will be allowed, with operators required to pay a monthly concession fee based on net revenue, ranging from 7 to 30 per cent. Of this amount, 80 per cent will be used to finance sporting organisations in Slovenia, with the remaining 20 per cent to be used to fund humanitarian organisations and aid the disabled.

Licensees will be required to connect to a centralised information system governed by the Financial Administration of the Republic of Slovenia, providing access to applications, data and systems records. The Minister for Finance will also be responsible for specifying the conditions and manner of the operation of games of chance, setting out measures to protect consumers, minors and the vulnerable.

Advertising by unlicensed operators will be prohibited, while authorised operators must ensure that ads are not be misleading or appealing to minors.

A warning must also be included in all gambling ads, stating: "This is an ad for gambling. Payment in gambling does not guarantee winning."

Written warnings must comprise at least one tenth of the size of a gambling ad and be clearly legible. TV ads should feature a warning in text and voice form, while online ads must feature the warning clearly and not via a link. 

The bill has been submitted to the EC for approval and is subject to a standstill period that ends May 30th.



Back To All News

Tags: Curacao gaming licence,gaming licence,Financial Institution Licence,Payment Institution,Incorporation of company in Malta,Malta gaming licence,online gaming license,Incorporation of company in Bulgaria,E-Money licence